Friday, July 31, 2009

Christianity After Marriage

I thought, as many probably do, that my spiritual life would improve after I got married. I assumed that I would be more responsible, that I would know what needed to be changed and I would change it. Life, however, does not work that way.

While there are thousands of new experiences in marriage, one of them is not the sudden and instantaneous revival of spiritual fervor. God works in my life just like He always has, one day at a time. Minute by minute, as I look to Him and His Word to guide my footsteps, He does just that. If I choose not to dwell on thoughts of Him or to read His Word and look for that guidance, well, as you would expect, He doesn't give it.

God uses the Bible to speak to us. That's His plan. If we don't like it, we don't hear from Him. I'm finding that out the hard way. Over the past few days, I've decided that my relationship with God is more important than I've been treating it. I need to return to the Word as my source of spiritual nourishment. And after I get my spiritual life back on track....then comes the marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment